Thursday, March 10, 2011

Kill Mosquitos with Rubbing Alcohol

With winter gone the mosquitoes are already starting to hit hard. I swear it's like a freaking epidemic or something. In the past few days I've killed maybe 100 mosquitoes - and those are just the ones that managed to get inside the house!

I used to use expensive flying insect sprays, but they did nothing. I'd literally spray a mosquito in the face with a $5 can of Raid and he'd laugh at me and fly off. Besides the fact that they were ineffective these sprays were incredibly toxic. Every time I used them I would have to open all the windows and turn on the fans or go outside because it felt like someone was stabbing me in the lungs. The fumes also lasted for hours, and lingered forever without the proper ventilation.

Now, though, I use rubbing alcohol. Yeah, it sounds weird, but it's 1000x better than expensive, toxic sprays.

(click title to keep reading)

I kept hearing about using alcohol, but would laugh it off. It took another terrible experience using Raid to finally give it a shot. I put some alcohol in a bottle, screwed a spray nozzle on top and was surprised to see that not only does alcohol kill mosquitoes it's actually more effective than store bought insect sprays.

Rubbing alcohol kills mosquitoes instantly, is inexpensive, doesn't have toxic fumes and dries up clean in minutes. It literally is the greatest bug spray that nobody knows about. The only down side is the strong smell and the learning curve. The smell isn't too bad because it goes away in seconds, but learning to be effective with alcohol can be tricky. It all depends on your nozzle setting (buy a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle). It can't be too fine or it won't do anything or too strong because you'll have a hard time hitting the bugs. You also have to make sure the bugs get well coated. Sometimes I can kill them in one shot, but usually I have to stun them to the ground then squirt them again so they don't get back up.

If you're tired of expensive sprays that don't do anything and fill your house with lung burning fumes try rubbing alcohol. It's less than $4 to get started ($1 spray bottle + $3 bottle of alcohol), and I promise you it is much more effective and safe. Just make sure you buy 70% alcohol or higher.


1 comment:

Akaro said...

Well, thanks for the advice. I´ll try that.